Lifestyle | Choosing My A-Levels

As you may know, I'm 16, which means in the UK I'm required to stay in some form of education until I'm 18, which means I have to take A-Levels. Usually, this will mean choosing whether to go to College or Sixth Form and deciding whether to study A-Levels or a B-Tech. I've finally decided to go to College and study A-Levels, but I didn't originally want to do this.

Originally, I had no idea what the difference was between a College and a Sixth Form and I just thought that a Sixth Form just meant that it was combined with a secondary school and a College was a separate building. Traditionally, Sixth Form is generally more academic and the atmosphere is more similar to school as it is attached to one, whereas a College is more vocational and the atmosphere is different to school as it is only teaching 16-18-year-olds.
Many schools do have a Sixth Form attached to them, so students can naturally progress up into Year 12. However, my school did not have a Sixth Form because it's so small and I, therefore, did not have the option to stick with my friends. I did consider going to a Sixth Form in another local grammar school for about a year, but I have now enrolled in a College.

  I have now decided, after a lot of consideration, to study 3 A-Levels and also participate in an Elective programme my college runs especially for Journalism. I'll be studying Psychology, Media Studies and English Combined (which is both English Literature and Language). I originally wanted to study Photography, English Language and Psychology, but after a bit of research I decided to drop Photography for a couple of reasons, but mainly because I needed to take Media Studies to become a journalist.

 I decided to choose Psychology because I have an absolute passion for it. I don't know how or why I have this passion, but I just do, and I'm genuinely interested in learning about how the mind works. I'm especially interested in learning about how psychotic illnesses effect the mind.

 I chose Media Studies, mainly because I need it to be a journalist, but also because I didn't have the chance to take it at GCSE. I'm not too sure how Year 9 Options works in other schools, but in my school we got to choose 3 options from 3 blocks - a,b and c. And because I'd already chosen an option from Block c, I couldn't choose another one from the same block. I really really wanted to take it, however I felt that the other options I took would benefit me more.

And finally, I chose English Combined because I am obsessed with both English Literature and Language. I did originally decide to take only English Language, but decided against it when I realised I would probably be needing some form of Literature qualification as apparently Universities hold it in high regard. I also enjoy analysing language and how it can be adapted for a certain audience.

Well, hopefully I'll enjoy studying A-Levels in College, and by the time this is uploaded, I'll have already started my second week! I hope you've enjoyed reading this, and let me know in the comments what you studied at A-Level/B-Tech and whether you went to Sixth Form or College!

I hope you're having a wonderful day, wherever you are in the world!

Lots of love,
Marshmallow Skye
xoxo

Twitter | Instagram

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. Quite interesting to know how your school system works what what choices you've made.

    PS:LOOVE the name, Marshmallow Skies.😍

    #sweetreats xx www.bakingboutiquebirds.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete