Lifestyle | Explaining My Exams

 
So as you may be aware, I finished my GCSE exams about 2 weeks ago now, and I haven't actually explained what exams I took over the past month and a half, or how I felt during them, and I thought it would make a good blog post. I won't be mentioning how I think I got on in each exam because I am an incredibly superstitious person, and I really don't want to jinx my results! 

My exam timetable consisted of 20 (yes 20) exams, over the course of a little under 2 months, starting from the 16th May - 24th June (not including my Art exams which I took in April). It was pretty much 2 exams per subject, apart from the science exams I took which were Additional and Further Additional Science, which required 3 exams each. Yep, a whole 6 exams of science - thank God I did my Core Science exams last year!

To be honest, I was not one of those students who did revision months and months before the exams, and I didn't start revision like, the night before either. I actally don't know of anyone who started revision as early as say, January, but I do know quite a few people who definitely left it until the last minute. I would say I started my revision around late April - early May time, so a couple of weeks before the exams started. I felt like this way, the information was much fresher in my mind, and, as I get bored quite easily, I knew that if I had started revision earlier I would have given up completely.

The first exam I took was Yr10 R.E. and although many people seem to think it's an easy exam that you can get full marks on without revision, I can tell you, it definitely isn't! In the days leading up to the exam I was stressing like crazy, because this was the first proper formal exam I'd ever taken in my life and, due to my #anxietyprobs I was panicking. Looking back now though, I laugh at how much I was worrying about this exam because, there were much harder exams, like Maths or History that were to come.

Speaking of panicking, I am rather impressed with myself that I didn't have any major panic attacks during my exams. Admittedly, I did come rather close, but once I got past the first week and got into the swing of them, I found myself feeling calmer. I got into the rhythm of revise, exam, move onto the next one, which I did find to help me a lot.

The hardest exam I sat would probably be Maths. I had no confidence in my knowledge, and it didn't help that my teacher was horrendous. He would go through a question or something with the class and end up getting the "right" answer, only to be proved wrong by some of my classmates - which was really fun. With every lesson I went to, I found my attention slowly slip away until I just could not be bothered listening, so I would have to teach myself during revision, which was definitely a slip up. 
(If you're reading this a lot later in the future and you're going to be taking exams around the time you're reading this - make sure you start revising your weakest subject first! I only thought about this after I took my exams lol)

Another exam I was super worried about was my History Paper 1 exam. I absolutely love learning about History as I find it so interesting. However, the actual knowledge is only half the problem. Not only do you have to learn the curriculum, but you also have to learn the structure of how to answer the questions. I know this is probably similar with a few subjects, but I struggled with this so much. I knew the knowledge, just couldn't answer the questions. I was lucky though, as my teacher was brilliant and she gave me so much support!

I get my results at the end of August, so if you guys would like me to do a post on my results (if I'm confident enough!) let me know in the comments! Also, how did you get on your your exams? Were you an early reviser or not?

I hope you're having a wonderful day, wherever you are in the world!

Lots of love,
Marshmallow Skye
xoxo

You May Also Like

4 comments

  1. 20 EXAMS!!!! woah that is a lot, how many GCSE's are you getting for that? I wish you luck with your results but I'm sure you've done amazingly so don't need luck xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much for your comment! And I'm getting 10 GCSE's, which sucks! Aww thank you so much, but I need all the luck in the world!

      Lots of love,
      Marshmallow Skye
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Oh I took my GCSEs in December (I am from India so we had different timetables) and I can totally understand the stress and anxiety you get before the exam! All the best for your results!!

    www.reetlonari.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much for your lovely comment! It's so horrible going through them, and probably even more when waiting for the results! I hope you did well in yours too!

      Lots of love,
      Marshmallow Skye
      xoxo

      Delete