Thursday, 13 August 2015

Latest Blog Post | Getting Over a Crush

Hello World!

Do you ever get that sinking feeling when you realise your crush probably doesn't like you? Well they might do, I mean, you've never really spoken to them, you just pass them in the corridor and think to yourself, "oh, they have quite a nice face, I quite like them". Then you realise you have a few classes with them, try to sit near them and their friends if those particular classes don't have seating plans. You try to look as adorable and as photogenic as is physically possible, when really, you look like a hot mess thats trying too hard?

This has been my life for the past couple of months. I've been obsessed with this one guy in my class for about hmm... 3 months if that? Now, looking back with hindsight, I think the only reason I liked him was because I needed to fill a space from another guy. So, I have now decided to take the brave step that is (dare I say it) Getting Over My Crush, or GOMC for short (I will probably use that acronym for any future blog posts about this, because I am a teenage girl after all). 
But how does a girl go about these things? Some people may say, "you can't just get over a crush like that, you can't just decide not to like someone, because if you do then you obviously didn't like them in the first place!" To that I say, yes, yes you can get over someone, as I will now explain...

(NOTE: I'm not a psycologist or a professional "advice giver" so this post is basically what I do and what my friends have done to help me get over previous crushes)

Realisation
Realisation can mean a few things such as
- They may not be the person you thought they were
- They may be different, very different, from the fictional fantasy version of them you had in your head

You may sit and daydream about your bae during science class whilst you should be learning about DNA or whatever (as you can tell I don't listen in science) but they're probably way different from what you imagine. Like in Paper Towns (SPOILERS AHEAD!!), the book opens with Quentin talking about Margo being his miracle. We place our crushes on a pedestal, making them superior to everyone else and often we forget that they're actually just normal people. We often need to realise that these crushes are more like an infactuation than true love.

Accept that you had a crush and move on
Okay, you had a crush, those feelings were cool and now it's time to move on. If the feeling of having a crush was bringing you down for example, making you nervous, overthinking and stopping yourself from doing things with your friends because "omg but what if my crush sees me? I have to look attractive 24/7!" No, no you don't have to look attractive all the time, nobody is and it's impossible. And I'm sure that even if your crush were to see you, they would probably think that you were having a great time with your friends.

TTT - Take your Time and Talk
It's okay to take time in getting over your crush. You may have thought about them for weeks, months (maybe even years idk) and just removing them from your life isn't the best thing to do. Gradually distance yourself from him or her, perhaps if you share the same friendship group it's the perfect excuse to broaden your social horizons and spread your social butterfly wings. Get yourself out there and have fun. It's also really important to talk to people and use your communication. It's no good bottling up all of your feelings and thoughts (hence why I created this very blog, so trust me, I know) so get your best friend, sit them down, and talk to them about how you feel. Or if you don't feel comfortable talking to your friends about it, write your feelings down, or tell a trusted adult in your life. You could even post in the comments below and I'll try and help you as much as I can.

You are beautiful no matter what
It doesn't matter if your crush didn't like your selfie on Instagram, or didn't like your status on Facebook. If your crush doesn't like you back then really (in my eyes) it's their loss. To whoever is reading this right now, you are a wonderful amazing human being, literally made out of stardust and I love you. It's not the end of the world if they don't like you back, you could probably do so much better than them anyway!


My question today is, how do you guys get over a crush? Post your answers in the comments down below! I've "unlocked" the comments too, so you don't need to have a Blogger or Google account to comment. Please subscribe, comment and share this blog with your friends, I'd really appreciate it!


I hope you're having an amazing day wherever you are in the world,


Lots of love,  
Marshmallow Skye
xoxo

8 comments:

  1. This is such a great post! I found your blog through your comment on mine and it looks great so far! I will definitely be a regular visitor to your blog :) x

    | Caoimhe xo | www.ismisecaoimhe.blogspot.ie |

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much! I only started my blog a few days ago so I'm only just finding my feet haha! I'd love to keep in touch :) xoxo

      Delete
  2. Very good, Skye!! I can DEFINATELY relate!!

    You will go very far in the blogging community, that's for sure!

    Lots of Love

    The Mystery Writer aka PenGirl9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww I'm glad you can relate! Omg that's the biggest compliment ever thank you so much! We should definitely keep in touch and maybe even collab sometime!

      Lots of love,
      - Marshmallow Skye

      Delete
  3. Great post, truly inspiring, I love to read it, thanks for sharing!!!

    xxx

    www.bridesonamission.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it, and I'm going to check your blog out now!

      Lots of love,
      Marshmallow Skye
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. *Fyi i'm slightly obsessed with your blog*
    It takes me ages to get over a crush, especially if i went out with that guy for quite a while. I think the reason why it's so hard to get over someone is because how we imagine them in our heads is not how they actually are in real life ever. We imagine them totally flawless and as our 'One True Love' when in reality they're not.
    Great post xx
    Daizy
    http://brightdreamerz.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! That's such a lovely thing for you to say, I'm so happy you like my blog, it really means so much to me! Yes! That is so true! We do imagine people as having no flaws when really, they're just normal people like the rest of us! Thank you so much again!

      Lots of love,
      Marshmallow Skye
      xoxo

      Delete