Saturday, 22 August 2015

Do You Ever Feel | Anxious?

Hello World!

It's time again for the next installment of my series, Do You Ever Feel and today's topic is... Feeling Anxious. I know a lot of people out there who have to deal with anxiety and panic attacks. In this post, I'm going to explain my personal feelings of aniexty and worry and hopefully talk about how to deal with feeling anxious and how to get over panic attacks.

I think I've always been a rather anxious person, even when I was a small child. I always find myself overthinking at night, worrying about everything, my friends, my future, schoolwork, exam results, health. I get this strange feeling in the pit of my stomach which feels like I need to throw up and go to the toilet at the same time. I get all hot and sweaty and I feel as if need to get out of an enclosed space quickly. I also want to say that I've not been officially diagnosed with aniexty problems or anything because I don't really want to go to the doctor to be truthful. I do think though, that these may be panic attacks, from stories I've heard through Zoella and a friend. 

An example was the other week, when I was staying in a hotel in London. Myself and my grandparents had left our hotel rooms to go down to dinner, and because my phone had died earlier on, I left the charger on at the plug. Whilst we were in the bar, the fire alam went off and the staff at the hotel were giving each other that look like, "wtf is going on, there wasn't a drill planned was there?". So they ran to the doors and were yelling to get outside and the whole situation was just horrible. I started shaking and felt like I couldn't breathe, and then my mind started racing, and I'd managed to blame myself for the fire for the 30 minutes we were outside. Turns out there was literally nothing to worry about, it was just something in the kitchen. I think this was the worst panic attack I've had, because I couldn't really calm myself down.

So, how do we tackle these horrible feelings? Well, the first step is understanding why we feel the way we do in these situations. 

The feeling of anxiety is natural, as its a human defense system to keep us safe from predators back in the Stone Age. Literally everyone feels anxious at some time in their life, and it's probably impossible not to. But a panic disorder is different, and is defined as "having recurring and regular panic attacks, often for no apparent reason." However, you don't need to have panic attacks to have a panic disorder, because it depends on the severity of the anxiety. I personally do not have a severe case of anxiety, as I often don't have panic attacks, but I do feel on edge, I get butterflies, feeling faint amongst other things. If you want to check out the symptoms of anxiety, I'll link you to the NHS website here and I'll also leave a bunch of links you can check out at the end of this post. 

How I Overcome a Panic Attack

Acceptance:
Once I've started having a panic attack, I'm already experiencing the worst that's going to happen, so the best way to deal with it, is just to "ride out" the panic attack, like a surfer rides out a wave. The more I resist panicking, the worse the attack will become, so the best thing to do is accept that I'm having an attack. 

Breathing Exercises:
My Nan actually taught me this breathing technique, which is quite well known but it really helped me the other week. You simply breathe in through your nose, hold it, breathe out through your mouth. Concentrating on your breathing helps to take your mind off the whole panicking thing, and it actually made me feel a whole lot better. I also suffer from migraines quite often, which really sucks, and I use this technique when the headache kicks in because it takes your mind off the pain. 

Talking to Yourself

Now, I know this sounds a bit odd, but it really helps when your mind starts racing. Let's say you're having atack over the amount of schoolwork you have to do, then you think about the revision, then the exam, and then the what if's kick in. What if I fail? What if I can't get a job? What if, what if, what if? I know this is quite hard to do when your mind is working at 100mph but think to yourself, "so what? I'll get scared about this, then I'll calm down and deal with it". Also, if you are panicking about schoolwork, then I'd suggest making a revision timetable or homework timetable, but I'll go into more detail about that in another post if you guys want!

Remember readers, panic attacks do end. They may feel awful and super intense and I know they suck, but you won't feel like that forever. Despite the way you respond to them, they end and that's a good thing to keep in mind whilst going through a panic attack.

What ways work for you during a panic attack? Do you have any websites that could help out other people? Leave them in the comments below!

Thanks so much for reading, please follow and share my blog with your friends!


Lots of love,
Marshmallow Skye
xoxo


Useful Links
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/Pages/understanding-panic.aspx
http://psychcentral.com/lib/tips-to-cope-with-a-panic-attack/
http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/anxiety-and-panic-attacks/#.VdcK4Zfi8u0

36 comments:

  1. Hey! I said I would read this! Thank you for the tips! I'm going to try talking to myself lol

    Www.shannonslittlespace.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much for reading and taking the time to comment! I hope these techniques are able to help you - let me know how you get on!

      Lots of love,
      Marshmallow Skye
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Glad you did this post I was looking forward to reading it!:)
    Thanks for the helpful links! I also haven't been diagnosed with anxiety but feel like I have it, I am too anxious to go to the doctors, it's really hard for me to talk about my problems, as no one seems to believe me. It's nice to know other people are experiencing the same things! I've always been incredibly shy and nervous, but probably for about two years now it's gotten really bad, it affects me badly. I'm too anxious to make phone calls, get on public transport, a lot of the time even going outside of the house, if I see people I panic and worry that I'm being judged constantly. I can't get a job and I have never had one because of it, I've recently quit my driving lessons because I kept having panic attacks. I'm a very weak and emotional person, I get SO anxious about anything hospital, dentist or doctor related, I've cancelled things like having a tooth pulled out and other treatments because I have really bad panic and anxiety attacks. I could go on forever, so it would be nice to talk to more people who experience similar things so I don't feel as alone. xxxxx
    http://www.beckybobble.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that's awesome that you were looking forward to it, and I'm glad yo found the links helpful! That's awful that you feel that nobody believes you, I get what you mean because it's the worst thing for someone to say "omg just calm down" or "you need to stop worrying" because there is literally nothing you can do about it, especially when having an anxiety attack. Omg, I'm the same, I feel like everyone is watching me, judging me and laughing about me behind my back, and I think my anxiety has also caused me to have trust issues. I'd love to talk to you more, so that maybe we could keep in touch about the small victories we have, for example, going out for a walk and not feeling anxious, or making a phone call and getting through it okay. Let me know if you want to try it! :)

      Lots of love,
      Marshmallow Skye
      xoxo

      Delete
    2. aww:) Thanks so much for the lovely reply, it means a lot! I'd love to talk more, definitely! xxxxxxx

      Delete
    3. Aww you're too nice to me omg xD that sounds awesome!

      Lots of love,
      Marshmallow Skye
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Another beautiful post. Well written, thank you for the tips xx

    www.elabellaworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much omg, and thank yyou so much for commenting! I'd love to keep in touch with you :)

      Lots of love,
      Marshmallow Skye
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. That situation at the hotel sounds horrible! I'm sure people will find these tips super helpful x

    Josie’s Journal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting and checking out my blog - it means a lot! Omg, it was awful - so stressful! Aww thank you, I hope so!

      Lots of love,
      Marshmallow Skye
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. This post is so relevant to me. Thank you for all of these useful tips. This post will help so many people :) x

    | Caoimhe xo | www.ismisecaoimhe.blogspot.ie |

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting! I'm so glad you found these tips useful :) and I hope it does!

      Lots of love,
      Marshmallow Skye
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. wow amazing blog post ( as always) had a good read !!
    I just love your blog !!!

    I would love your thoughts on my new video


    NewVideo

    have a wonderful day

    Jade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much for your lovely comment - the support means a lot!! Hope you have a great day also! :)

      Lots of love,
      Marshmallow Skye
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. This is a super helpful post and will help a lot of people, so thanks for sharing! I am not generally an anxious person, but I've definitely gotten anxiety attacks in the past and it's one of the worst feelings, so it's important to know what to do when this is happening.

    xoxo Emily
    http://www.ditchtheheels.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much for your lovely comment! Omg, isn't it the worst? I'm really glad that you've found my post helpful!

      Lots of love,
      Marshmallow Skye
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for doing this post,I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and these tips on how to overcome it will really help me,amazing post and I love your blog!
    Chattergirl xx
    http://chattergirlsblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting and for following me on Bloglovin' - it means such a lot and the support means so much! I'm so glad that this post has been able to help you, that makes me so happy :) I'm really sorry that you also suffer from anxiety, but hopefully if we all stick together and share our experiences we'll feel less alone and feel more understood :). I'd love to talk to your more, you seem like such and amazing person!

      Lots of love,
      Marshmallow Skye
      xoxo

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for the lovely reply,I would love to talk to you more! xx

      Delete
  9. This is such a great post. This tips are amazing, and will be so useful to so many of us! Thanks so much for this :)
    xo Kiki
    http://colormekiki.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much for your lovely comment! The support means so much, you encourage me to keep writing, like someone out there is actually listening to me and that I'm able to help people out! Thanks so much again!

      Lots of love,
      Marshmallow Skye
      xoxo

      Delete
  10. I love this series, your posts are really helpful and they mean a lot to anyone going through the same things. I am an anxious person as well and I worry about way too many things. What really helps me is writing to-do-lists, going for a walk or - when I'm feeling really anxious - listening to an app called 'Stop panic and anxiety self-help' - you should try that app, it's really helpful! x

    113-things-to-say.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg I'm so sorry for only seeing this comment now. Thank you so much for commenting and sharing your ideas and techniques to stop panicking! I'll definitely be checking out that app!

      Lots of love,
      Marshmallow Skye
      xoxo

      Delete
  11. This was a really lovely post! I started to get really panicked and stressed during my exams, I think these tips are really, really useful. Thankyou for this post!
    -Cait xx
    Passionate-Mind.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much for your lovely comment, O hope those tips are able to help you!

      Lots of love,
      Marshmallow Skye
      xoxo

      Delete
  12. I loved reading this post, I've been through it all! I have Separation Anxiety, Anxiety, Panic Disorder, and OCD (which is a side effect from Anxiety). I know I have it bad and I realised what was causing it and removed myself from that situation. However; trains, stations, buses, busy places, planes everywhere I just panic get anxious. I do breathing exercises to take my mind off of it.
    You advice is amazing and is what I would give to anybody. It makes me feel sad that so many people have to suffer with this, I think it is probably one of the worst Mental Illnesses to have as you're literally trapped in your own head and there is no exit.
    You know I'm always here to talk to you if you need me! I would love to talk more about this, I don't know if I would be brave enough to write my stories down! You're so brave! :)
    - Moll x

    molly-ap.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Molly! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, especially for talking about your own experiences with your anxiety - that takes a lot of courage and you're really brave for talking about it :).
      Thank you so much for that compliment about my advice - it means a lot! I know right? It is really upsetting, but the fact that so many people suffer with it, on so many different levels, shows that it should be taken more seriously, and that we're not crazy or making it up - it is a real mental disorder.
      Aww thanks so much Molly, and I'm always here if you need to talk to me either! You should, when you're ready to share it as it's so liberating to ffeel that you aren't alone.

      Lots of love,
      Marshmallow Skye
      xoxo

      Delete
  13. Wow! I remember visiting your blog and you only had 3 comments. Now you have 20!! I told you that you would go far!!!! Good work!

    The Writer aka PenGirl9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S: Did you get your name from a book? If so I love that book as well!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! I'm so grateful for each and every comment, and especially for you for believing in me! Yeah, I've heard of the books and I think I have them somewhere, but I've never read them, would you recommend them? It's actually from a Beatle's song called Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds which is where the actual referrence from the book is from!

      Lots of love,
      Marshmallow Skye
      xoxo

      Delete
  14. Thank you for your post and sharing your tips, they are much appreciated! I always get nervous in shops when I am about to pay for something, it is so weird but I just feel as if the cashier is judging what I am buying that is why if I have a choice I opt for the self checkout. I hope you also feel better with your anxiety.

    Emma xx http://emmasworld31.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment! Aww, I'm so glad you appreciate my tips and I hope they'll help you :) Hope you're having a fab day!

      Lots of love,
      Marshmallow Skye
      xoxo

      Delete
  15. Hey! Great post!
    I have another tip my doctor told me: When you're panic-ing and feel like you can't breathe try to sing to yourself. It can be as quiet as you like it, but it helps regulating your breath (you need to breathe properly to sing) and also occupy your mind a bit.
    I always carry a small plastic bag with me for breathing into it. Even when you feel liek you're not hyper-ventilating and that your throat is closing, you definetly are. And even though you might feel like you're not getting enough air into your lungs, the opposite is the case. That's where the dizziness (and the shaking) comes from.
    I also always carry a tiny notebook with written down positive thoughts and memories with me, it helps in an emergency situation.
    Hope this helps you a bit.

    www.rosegoldheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! These are amazing tips, thank you so much for sharing them. I'm definitely going to try the singing to myself tip, because I'm like constantly humming to myself so I think it'll work for me! These tips are absolutely amazing and I'm sure they'll help a ton of people who visit my blog!
      Hope you're having an amazing day! :)

      Lots of love,
      Marshmallow Skye
      xoxo

      Delete
  16. Thank you for this i really enjoyed it as i also have trouble with Anxiety. If it starts to get worse though i really would tell someone as it can take over your whole life

    Love, Daizy xxx
    http://brightdreamerz.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting! Aww, I'm really sorry to hear that you suffer from anxiety too. I definitely will, thanks so much for your concern :) Hope you're having a great day :)

      Lots of love,
      Marshmallow Skye
      xoxo

      Delete